These breakfast strips can be served in place of bacon. They’re made with tempeh, which is high in protein. For added flabor the strips are marinaded before baking. Serve them as a side dish with other breakfast foods, such as Scrambled Tofu or Pumpkin Porridge, or place them in Veggie Wraps.
- 1/2 cup tempeh*
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos, or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce**
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Using a chef’s knife, cut tempeh the long way, into 10 thin strips. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour into a large shallow dish.
- Place the tempeh strips into the dish, in a single layer to marinate for 10 minutes. Gently flip and marinate the other side for an additional 10 minutes.
- Place the strips in a single layer on a parchment paper lined backing pan. Bake on the middle rack in a preheated 400ºF oven for 5 minutes. Use a spatula to gently flip and bake an additional 5 minutes or until crispy on the outside. Serve hot.
Makes 10 strips
* Tempeh is a meat alternative made with soy beans. Some brands include grains that may or may not be gluten-free. If you are on a gluten-free diet, contact the manufacturer of the product you are using to be sure that it is gluten-free and manufactured in a gluten-free facility.
** There are many hot pepper sauces on the market to choose from, but not all are gluten-free. If you are on a gluten-free diet, contact the manufacturer of the product you are using to be sure that it is gluten-free and manufactured in a gluten-free facility.