The word chai means tea in many parts of the world, but it can also be associated with any drink flavored with aromatic spices and made creamy with milk — though this recipe uses cashews in place of milk. We included cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger in this recipe since they are a few of the more popular spices associated with chai, and because the combination is delicious!
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons lucuma powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, with extra to garnish
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 6 ice cubes (about 1 cup)
- Blend all the ingredients, except for the banana and ice cubes, in a high powered blender on low speed then high for 1 minute or until creamy smooth.
- Add the frozen banana and ice and blend 30 seconds or until blended. Immediately pour into a glass, garnish with a little cinnamon or a dollop of Banana Mango Cream, add a straw, and serve.
Makes 1 (16oz ) serving, or 2 (8oz) servings.
*Cacao powder can be replaced with carob powder. Carob powder is naturally sweet, low in fat, high in fiber, has calcium, and no caffeine. Most brands are gluten-free, yet because there is a slight possibility of cross-contamination those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity may want to check with the manufacturer to be sure.