Adults like how these Sunbutter Balls are quick and easy to make, and kids love them! Serve them after an informal dinner, snack on a few in-between meals, or pack some with a lunch in an Insulated Lunch Cooler Bag.
- 12 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free rolled oats or other certified gluten-free brand
- 3 heaping tablespoons organic SunButter or other gluten-free sunflower seed spread
- Process the dates in a food processor until finely chopped, stopping to scrape the sides of the food processor bowl as needed.
- Add the oats and sunflower seed spread and process until well combined and sticks together. If too sticky add more oats. If too dry add more sunflower seed spread.
- Roll enough mixture in the palms of your hands to shape into a 1-inch size ball. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Eat immediately, or for a firmer texture refrigerate for 20 minutes or more.
- You can also dip half of each ball into melted SunSpire Vegan Carob Chips or other vegan brand. Just melt 1/2 cup chips with 1 tablespoon of coconut in a sauce pan on medium heat, stirring constantly until creamy smooth. You can also melt the oil and chips together in a microwave on power level 5, in 30 second intervals so not to overcook. Quickly and carefully dip the balls into the melted carob chips then place them on a wax paper lined tray. Refrigerate for 1 hour or more. Stores refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- If you like walnuts, use a large kitchen knife to chop 1/4 cup of walnuts into small pieces, then roll the plain balls into the chopped nuts or sprinkle the carob covered balls (variation 1) with the chopped nuts.
Makes about 12 to 14 balls