Socca is a flatbread that is sold by street venders in the South of France. It’s made with chickpea flour and olive oil, which becomes a thin batter that is poured out and cooked like a pancake. When done, it’s cut into pieces and served with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Garbanzo Flour or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Garbanzo and Fava Flour blend*
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to drizzle on after it’s baked to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Herbs de Provence or other brand
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Himalayan salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, water, olive oil, and dried herbs until well combined.
- Cover a Sil-Eco Half Size Baking Pan (13-inch x 18-inch x 1-inch) or other similar pan with either parchment paper or a large (11 5/8-inch x 16 1/2-inch) Sil-Eco Silicone Baking Liner or other non-stick silicone baking liner. Heat in a preheated 400º F oven for 5 minutes. Using an oven mitt, remove from oven and place on a flat, heat safe surface.
- Slowly pour the batter down the center of the baking liner or parchment paper, the long way. It should spread on its own toward the sides of the pan, but not touch the sides.
- Again using an oven mitt, place the pan back into the oven and on the middle rack. Try not to tilt the pan when doing so, to prevent the batter from running into the sides of the pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is firm and the edges start to brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool to touch, then use either a sharp knife or KitchenAid Classic Shears or other kitchen shears to cut the socca into 6 or 8 equal pieces. Transfer to a serving platter or divide between serving plates. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- For an Italian flavor, replace herbs de Provence with Simply Organic Oregano or other brand.
- Make it Mediterranean. After adding the salt and pepper, top with Homemade Hummus or store-bought, and Jeff’s Naturals Organic Sliced Greek Kalamata Olives or other brand.
- Turn it into pizza. After adding the salt and pepper, top with a stir-fry. To make the stir-fry, thinly slice onions, cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, and green bell pepper, then set aside. Heat in a wok or frying pan 3 tablespoon homemade Simple Vegetable Broth or gluten-free store-bought vegetable broth. Add the sliced ingredients and stir constantly. Add a little more broth as needed, to prevent sticking. After 10 minutes or when tender, remove from heat. Place a very thin slice of tomato on each serving of socca and top with equal amounts of stir-fry. If desired, add to each a dollop of Vegan Melted ‘Cheese’ or sprinkle with Vegan Grated ‘Cheese.’
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
* Garbanzo bean flour and fava bean flour are good sources of protein for vegans. The garbanzo bean flour, also known as gram flour or chickpea flour, is made from ground chickpeas. The fava bean, also known as broad bean, resembles a lima bean and can also be ground into flour.