Are you looking for a simple vegan and gluten-free apple pie filling? If so, here’s one you might like. And because you probably want a crust to hold your pie filling, you might try our traditional style Gluten-Free Pie Crust recipe, or perhaps the simple Almond Raisin Crust that we use in our recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Pie.
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 8 apples, cored, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 4 Bergin Nut Company Medjool Dates, or other dates, pitted, soaked for 20 minutes, drained
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash Himalayan salt
- Place all the ingredients in a high powered blender, except for the apples. Process for 2 minutes or until fully blended.
- Transfer the mixture to a sauce pan and add the apples. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the apples are just soft.
- Pour the warm filling into a previously prepared vegan and gluten-free pie crust, and spread evening. Again, you can follow the directions for our traditional style Gluten-Free Pie Crust recipe, or the simple Almond Raisin Crust that we use in our recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Pie. Serve while the apples are still warm. And if you like, top the pie with a scoop of Nondairy Vanilla Ice Cream, or a dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream.
Makes enough filling for 1 (9-inch round) pie.