A thick syrup made with dates. Maybe make our recipe for Yummy Yogurt or Nondairy Vanilla Ice Cream and drizzle some of the Date Syrup on top. Also use it in recipes that call for a liquid sweetener. In place of agave, for example, or maple syrup.
- 8 large medjool dates, pitted
- 1 1/4 cups filtered water, divided
- Add pitted dates to a 2 cup capacity container. Cover with with 1 cup water or just enough to cover. Let sit overnight to soften.
- Transfer the dates with its liquid to a small sauce pan. Cook on high heat for 4 minutes or until just boiling. Reduce heat to low. Use a large wooden spoon to mix and mash into a paste. Cook and continue to mix and mash an additional ten minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Remove from heat. Let sit 5 minutes or until cool. Transfer to a blender container. Add the remaining 1/4 cup water. Blend on high speed for 1 minute or until smooth. Transfer to a jar with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate until ready for use. Stores refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
Makes about 1 cup.