This classic bean salad uses fresh green beans and wax beans for the best possible flavor and texture. But if short on time you can instead use 1 (15oz) can of each.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 pound fresh wax beans, trimmed
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans
- 1 (15oz) can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium green leaf lettuce (optional)
- Cut the green beans and wax beans into 2-inch pieces. Transfer to a large pot. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then cook for 3 minutes or until just tender.
- Place in a colander to drain and rinse in cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to let cool.
- In the colander, drain and rinse the canned kidney beans and garbanzo beans. Add them to the bowl holding the cooled green beans and wax beans.
- Add the red bell pepper and scallions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, except for the lettuce. Pour over the beans and gently toss to coat. Serve on a bed of green leaf lettuce if using. Stores refrigerated for up to 3 days without lettuce.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings