Orange slices and chocolate make a great combination. You’ll love them! And, they’re easy to make.
- 2/3 cup vegan dark chocolate baking chips, unsweetened
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk, unsweetened, divided
- 1/2 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- pinch Himalayan salt, fine ground
- Shake the can of coconut milk well before opening. Place in a medium pot the vegan chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of the coconut milk. Heat on medium-low, stirring constantly for 3 minutes or until the chips are fully melted
- Continue to heat and stir as you add the remaining ingredients. Be sure to gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk last. Continue to stir until well combined and creamy smooth. Remove from heat. Let sit 3 minutes to slightly cool, then mix again.
- Hold an orange slice so it hangs the long way and dip it half way into the chocolate. Place it on a wax paper lined tray. Repeat with a desired amount of orange slices. Place the tray into the refrigerator for 2 hours or until the chocolate hardens. Serve straight from the refrigerator. Store refrigerated in a container with tight fitting lid for up to 3 days.
- If you prefer, replace orange slices with strawberries. To dip a strawberry into the chocolate, hold it by the leafy green part at top. Dip it half way into the chocolate, then place it on a wax paper lined tray. Repeat with a desired amount of strawberries. As with the orange slices, place the tray into the refrigerator for 2 hours or until the chocolate hardens.
- For a chocolate glaze, pour a desired amount of the chocolate dip over your favorite vegan and gluten-free cakes and cupcakes, then refrigerate the dessert for 2 hours or until the chocolate hardens. You might try this with our recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes, in place of the frosting.
Makes about 1 cup
* Most extracts contain alcohol primarily derived from corn, which is gluten-free. Still, people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity may want to contact the manufacturer of the brand they are using to be sure that it’s gluten-free. And actually, this goes for any product that you’re not sure about.