Basil pesto tastes great when mixed into raw zucchini noodles* or used as a spread. You might try spreading some on gluten-free Flax Seed Crackers.
- 4 medium zucchini (if making the pesto for zucchini noodles)
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1/4 cup fresh basil, packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons crushed pineapple, or filtered water
- 2 tablespoons Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning, or 1/4 dry oregano and 1/4 dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- If using the zucchini, peel and spiralize* or slice into noodles and set aside.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a dry pan on medium heat, stirring frequently until light brown in spots.
- Place all the ingredients, except for the zucchini if using, into a food processor and process for 2 minutes or until fairly smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed. Mix the pesto into the noodles, or serve it as a dip or spread, or use as a filling or garnish.
Makes 3/4 cup pesto, or 4 to 6 servings of zucchini noodles with the pesto mixed in.
* Zucchini, butternut squash, sweet potato, beet, carrot are some of the more popular vegetables used to make vegetable noodles. You can make vegetable noodles with a Spiralizer, Mandoline Slicer, or by hand with a Chef’s Knife.