Mousse usually includes eggs, cream, and sugar among its lists of ingredients. This vegan mousse doesn’t need these things to be amazing. It gets its creaminess from a blend of avocado, coconut milk, and chia seeds.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 (13.5oz) can unsweetened coconut milk*
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract**
- dash of stevia powder
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes or until creamy smooth, stopping to scrape the sides if necessary.
- Transfer to a medium size bowl. Use a silicone spatula to smooth out the top. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap, then refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Scoop into small dessert bowls, and enjoy! Stores refrigerated for 3 to 5 days.
- If you like dark chocolate, add an extra tablespoon of cacao powder and adjust the stevia powder to taste.
- Use the chocolate mousse to top fresh berries. You might try a combination of raspberries, blueberries, and sliced strawberries.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
*Be sure to use full-fat coconut milk in order to produce a mousse that’s thick and creamy.
** Most extracts contain alcohol primarily derived from corn. Still, people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity may want to contact the manufacturer of the product to be sure that it’s gluten-free. And read the ingredients, because corn syrup or sugar might be added, even if the word “pure” is on the front label.