A tasty vanilla cake that’s vegan, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened. Make it an enjoy!
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Almond Meal Flower or other brand
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Brown Rice Flour or other brand, plus extra to dust the pan
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free ‘Sweet’ White Sorghum Flour or other brand
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Garbanzo Bean Flour or other brand
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour or other brand
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil, plus extra to grease the pans
- 2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, or other brand
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 recipe Dark Chocolate Frosting
- Make our vegan and gluten-free recipe for Dark Chocolate Frosting. Keep refrigerated until ready for use.
- In a large size bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients to combine and aerate.
- In a medium size bowl mix together all the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2-inch round) cake pans. Pour the batter into the two pans, divided equally, then gently tap the pans on a counter or tabletop to even out and remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated 375º F oven for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let completely cool. Remove from pan.
- Frost the top of one layer with Vegan Chocolate Frosting, then place the second cake on top and frost the top of that layer, then frost the sides.
- If you prefer white frosting, try doubling our recipe for White Vegan Frosting.
- To turn this cake into a coffee cake, cut the recipe in half to make only one layer of cake, add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to the dry ingredients, and instead of using chocolate frosting look to our recipe for Vanilla Cream, and use it in a squeeze bottle to decorate the top. If desired, Garnish with almond slivers. If you like raspberries, place a dollop of Raspberry Jam next to the cake on the serving plate. And since coffee cake is meant to be served with coffee, serve with a cup of Cold Brew Coffee.
Makes 2 (8 1/2-inch round) cake layers.