A tasty breakfast that’s a little sweet and a little salty. The steel cut oats are cooked in salted water and sweetened with maple syrup and raisins. For some crunch, nuts and seeds are added. What’s also nice is that it’s simple to make!
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Steel Cut Oats, or other brand
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 cups almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, shelled and unsalted
- In a medium pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Mix in the steel cut oats, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, strain over the sink through a fine mesh strainer to discard the excess liquid. Divide the oats between 4 serving bowls, and let sit for 2 minutes.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk and maple syrup. Pour the sweetened almond milk over the cooked oats, divided equally between each serving.
- Top with the raisins and sunflower seeds, also dividing evenly between each serving, and enjoy!
- You can use store-bought almond milk, or try our recipe for homemade Almond Milk. You can also replace the almond milk with another type of non-dairy milk. Maybe try our recipe for Sunflower Seed Milk.
- Replaced the chopped walnuts with chopped pecans.
- Replace the shelled sunflower seeds with shelled pumpkin seeds.
- For added flavor, add to each serving a dash of cinnamon.
Makes 4 servings