A treat that can easily be wrapped in wax paper and placed in an insulated lunch bag for your child to take to school, or for you to take to work or wherever you go! These soft and naturally sweet cookies contain cherries, nuts, oats, maple syrup, and spices. You can make them plain or covered with coconut shreds. Both versions are delicious.
- 2 cup dark sweet cherries, frozen
- 1 cup raw organic walnuts
- 1 cup raw organic almond
- 1/4 cup raw organic brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free rolled oats or other certified gluten-free brand
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic ground cinnamon or other brand
- 1/2 teaspoon Wellbee Foods pure vanilla extract or other brand
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground Himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut*, unsweetened (optional)
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the cherries on medium high heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon for 20 minutes or until soft. Use the back of the spoon to mash the cherries, and continue to cook until the liquid is nearly evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the nuts to a food processor bowl and process for 2 minutes, or until a coarse texture is achieved. Stop to scrape the sides as needed. Don’t overprocess. If you do, you’ll end up with nut butter, which is too oily for making these cookies.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the shredded coconut if using, and process for 30 seconds or until well combined and sticks together.
- Place a sheet of wax paper on a serving tray. With clean hands, roll enough mixture in the palms of your hands to shape into a 1-inch size ball. Place the ball on the wax paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Place the coconut shreds in a bowl, if using, and gently press a ball down into the shreds, then again roll in the palms of your hands to reshape into a ball. Repeat with the remaining balls, or just half in order to have some with coconut and some without.
- Flatten each ball into the shape of a cookie. To do so, use the palm of your hand to press down on each ball, for 1/2-inch thick cookies.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm, and serve! Stores in an airtight container for up to 6 days. And remember to take a couple with you when you leave the house, wrapped in wax paper and placed in an insulated lunch bag.
Yield: Makes 16 cookies
* If you are an uncompromising vegan or someone with celiac disease or gluten sensitivities, contact the manufacturer of the shredded coconut that you are using, to be sure that it’s vegan and gluten-free, because there is a small possibility of the product having been manufactured in a facility that uses wheat and milk.