Polenta is a porridge that originated in Northern Italy, which can also be made into a dough. Precooked (tube) polenta is often used as a main dish in vegan cuisine when topped with sauce. Here we’ve turned the polenta into a base for appetizers.
- 2 (8oz) pre-cooked Sun Gennaro Polenta* or other gluten-free and ready to slice brand
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh basil, packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced, to garnish
- black and white sesame seeds, to garnish
- Cut the polenta into 1/2-inch think slices. Place slices on a baking sheet, lightly brush with the grapeseed oil then flip and brush the other side. Bake in a preheated 350˚F oven for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the pine nuts in a dry pan on medium-low heat.
- Place the toasted pine nuts and remaining ingredients, except for the bell pepper and sesame seeds, into a food processor and process for 2 minutes or until fairly smooth. Stop to scrape the sides as needed.
- Remove the heated polenta from the oven and transfer them to a serving platter. Use a teaspoon to scoop small amounts of the pesto mixture onto the polenta and use the back of a spoon to spread evenly. Garnish with the diced bell pepper and sesame seeds, and serve!
Makes 18 to 20 appetizers.
*Polenta can be made from a whole range of grains, including semolina wheat, so be sure that the brand you choose is gluten-free. Sun Gennaro Plenta is made with cornmeal and comes in Traditional, Sun Dried Tomato Garlic, and Basil Garlic. It’s gluten-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, and kosher.