Instead of mashed potatoes, try making mashed baby lima beans and carrots. This recipe uses coconut milk to make it creamy, plus garlic and seasoning for added flavor. Make it part of your next vegan and gluten-free dinner. You might try serving it with Broccoli Salad, Baked Eggplant, Herbed Oat Stuffing, and Cranberry Sauce.
- 1 (16oz) bag dry baby lima beans
- 4 large carrots, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar, or other brand
- 1 teaspoons finely ground Himalayan salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper, or to taste
- Sort though the dried baby lima beans to check for and discard any small pebbles that may be present, then rinse several times to clean thoroughly.
- In a large pot, soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of filtered water. Alternatively you can bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover, and soak for 3 hours. Drain to discard the soak water.
- Add 6 cups fresh filtered water to the pot of beans for cooking. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, partly cover with a lid, and simmer 2 hours or until soft. Drain well, then cover and set aside.
- Place the sliced carrots in a medium pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, partly covered, for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain well.
- Place the cooked beans and carrots in a food processor bowl along with the remaining ingredients and process for 2 minutes or until fairly smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired and process an additional 1 minute or until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy along with other vegan and gluten-free dinner foods.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.