Chocolate frosting! And yes, it’s vegan, gluten-free, and made with an unrefined sweetener. Spread this rich and creamy frosting on your favorite vegan and gluten-free cakes and cupcakes. You’ll love it!
- 2/3 cup Pascha Organic Dark Chocolate Baking Chips, or other vegan brand, unsweetened
- 1 cup full fat Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk, or other brand, unsweetened, divided
- 1 cup Nutiva Coconut Sugar, or other brand, unrefined
- 1/2 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- pinch Himalayan salt, fine ground
- Shake the can of coconut milk well before opening. Place in a medium pot the vegan chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of the coconut milk. Heat on medium-low, whisking constantly for 3 minutes or until the chips are fully melted.
- Add the coconut sugar, cacao powder, and remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk. Whisk until well combined and creamy smooth. Remove from heat.
- Let sit 5 minutes or until cool, then whisk again. Transfer to a glass jar or container and cover with a lit or plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until thickened.
- Stir well before spreading a generous amount on top of your favorite vegan and gluten-free cakes and cupcakes. You might try using this frosting in our recipe for Vegan Vanilla Cake, or to replace the nondairy whipped cream filling in our recipe for Whoopie Cakes. Frosting stores refrigerated in a container with a tight fitting lid for up to 3 days.
Makes about 2 cups
* Most extracts contain alcohol primarily derived from corn, which is gluten-free. Still, people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity may want to contact the manufacturer of the brand they are using to be sure that it’s gluten-free. And actually, this goes for any product that you’re not sure about.