This dark bean hummus is a great way to get some protein into your diet. It’s made with dark red kidney beans and black beans. Use it as a dip or spread. Try some on Garden of Eatin’ Tortilla Chips or other gluten-free chips, or spread some on gluten-free corn tortillas topped with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped kalamata, and Daiya Mozzarella Cutting Board Shreds or other brand of vegan and gluten-free shreds, then roll it into a bean burrito.
- 1 (15.5oz can) dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15.5oz can black beans
- 1/4 cup sesame tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to taste
- dulse seaweed flakes, to garnish (optional)
- Drain and rinse well, both the kidney beans and black beans, then place the beans along with the remaining ingredients in a food processor bowl. Process for 1 minute or until well combined and fairly smooth.
- Transfer to a serving a bowl, drizzle with a little more olive oil if desired, garnish with dulse seaweed flakes, if using, and serve! Stores refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days.
Makes about 3 cups.