A warm breakfast porridge made with quinoa, sweetened with maple syrup, and garnished with cinnamon.
- 1 cup cooked white quinoa*
- 3/4 cup coconut milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a high powered blender, blend the cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup of the coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Transfer to a pot with the remaining coconut milk. Cook, stirring frequently, on medium heat for 2 minutes or until warm.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with cinnamon, and serve immediately.
- Before serving, top with fresh berries. You might try raspberries or sliced strawberries.
- To give it a chocolate flavor, before blending add 2 teaspoons of carob or cocoa powder.
- If you want it sweeter, serve with additional maple syrup to drizzle over the top.
Makes 1 to 2 servings
* To cook quinoa, rinse it under cold running water, drain, transfer to a pot and add double the amount of water. On high heat, bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and serve, or use in recipes. Stores refrigerated for up to 4 days. For more information on cooking quinoa and other gluten-free grains, go to our Grains Cooking Chart.